AAP Children and Disasters – Pediatricians can serve as expert advisors to local, state, and federal agencies and committees and play a key role in disaster and terrorism preparedness with families, children, and their communities.
Helpful phone numbers and websites to share with community members:
- FEMA – Hurricane Sandy Disaster Assistance Phone Number 1-800-FEMA (3262) for disaster assistance
- Disaster Distress Helpline: 1-800-985-5990
- Small Business Administration Disaster Assistance:
- Shelter Locator: http://www.redcross.org/find-help/shelter
- Phone Number: 1-800-REDCROSS.
- For those with mobile devices: Text “Shelter + Your Zip code” to 4332.
- Operation Hope-description of free services below:
- Phone Number 1-888-388-HOPE (4673)
- Disaster SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) Information
- National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster:
OPERATION HOPE PROVIDES FINANCIAL RECOVERY SERVICES AFTER HURRICANE SANDY
Financial dignity nonprofit Operation HOPE begins financial triage for individuals effected by Hurricane Sandy. Through its disaster preparedness and recovery division, HOPE Coalition America (HCA), Operation HOPE announced today the availability for individuals and small business owners to call 888-388-HOPE (4673) for free information, guidance and assistance for loss associated with storm recovery. The services provided include:
- Disaster Recovery Budget
- Mortgage on a Destroyed Home
- Home Inspections and Repair Contracts
- Assistance with Working with Your Creditors
- Referrals to Government and Private Agencies
- Assistance with Obtaining Copies of Destroyed Documents
- Insurance Claims Assistance
- Completing Applications for Grants and Loans