Our Mission / About Us
Together, we create life-changing wishes for children with critical illnesses.
A wish experience can be a game-changer for a child with a critical illness.
This one belief guides us in everything we do at Make-A-Wish. It inspires us to grant life-changing wishes for children going through so much. It compels us to be creative in exceeding the expectations of every wish kid. It drives us to make our donated resources go as far as possible. Most of all, it’s the founding principle of our vision to grant the wish of every eligible child.
Wishes are more than just a nice thing. And they are far more than gifts, or singular events in time. Wishes impact everyone involved—wish kids, volunteers, donors, sponsors, medical professionals and communities. For wish kids, just the act of making their wish come true can give them the courage to comply with their medical treatments. Parents might finally feel like they can be optimistic. And still others might realize all they have to offer the world through volunteer work or philanthropy.
Who Is Eligible?
Children must meet these criteria at the time of referral:
• Diagnosed with a critical illness, i.e., a progressive, degenerative or malignant condition that is placing the child’s life in jeopardy
• Older than 2½ years and younger than 18
• Has not received a wish from another wish-granting organization
Who can refer a child?
Every day, we rely on wish referrals from caring individuals to help us reach more kids with critical illnesses and grant their life-changing wishes.
To respect the privacy of families we serve, children who may be eligible to receive a wish can be referred by:
- Children being treated for a critical illness
- Medical professionals (typically a doctor, nurse, social worker or child-life specialist)
- Parents or legal guardians
- Family members with detailed knowledge of the child’s current medical condition
Please review our Referral Guidance Sheets (see below listing), which describe the medical conditions that typically qualify a child for a wish. There may be medical conditions not described on these sheets which can be considered on a case-by-case basis to determine if criteria is met for eligibility.
New Jersey 2020: Hope is Essential
Vice President of Mission Delivery
Make-A-Wish® New Jersey
Samuel & Josephine Plumeri Wishing Place
1384 Perrineville Road
Monroe Township, 08831 United States
P: (609) 371-9474